Thursday, December 6, 2012

Decoupage Christmas Ornaments DIY

decoupage ornaments


I kept seeing these fun decoupaged ornaments on Pinterest. Since I had some sheet music left over from my decoupaged mannequin project,  I thought I would give a try even though I still have an ocean themed tree this year.

Christmas craft ideas

 I used  styrofoam balls; these are kind of expensive at $5 a bag!  Be sure to bring your Joann's coupon to save a bit or better yet,  find some super cheap plastic ornaments with the hangers already on them at a dollar store. You can find sheet music super cheap at thrift store. Some papers tear easily and others you may want to cut; about 3/4 to 1" strips.

Christmas crafting
I diluted some decoupage glue; 2 parts water to 1 part glue in a bowl then dipped strips of sheet music and wrapped them around the ball, it wasn't easy at first but when the ball is almost all covered you can smooth it with your hands.

decoupaged ornament


 Or stick it in a plastic bag to smooth:

DIY ornaments



 Or roll it on a cutting plastic board:

handmade Christmas ornaments

Once they are almost dry you can smooth them more; rub the bumps with your fingernail  or roll on the board.  I added customized names I printed our on white paper ( you might want to test to see if your ink runs. If it does, you could seal it first with a light coat of clear acrylic spray.) Then paint a coat of the decoupage glue to seal them and sprinkle some glitter on and let dry.

sheet music decoupage


For the hangers, I glued ribbon with a hot glue gun and stuck a few pins in to hold.


musical ornaments

Right now they look great in a bowl but may have to get a second tree!

2 comments: